Monday, August 6, 2012

Deadbeat Club

Okay, kids. Today's post is going to essentially be one big Inside Joke, so if you didn't hang out with me from the years 2004 to 2008, you might just want to move on. On the other hand, if you are one of these people, you might've been able to tell that even in my young, tender years I knew one of my self-proclaimed missions in life would be that of Memory Keeper. This isn't a difficult mission to fulfill, since I'm very bad at throwing away anything of sentiment, and there's little I enjoy more than a good romp through the past to figure out what's changed and what probably never will. Today I did some rifling through old things and found a big ol' box of stuff from my 8th grade obsesso-archiving years.

I'm lucky enough to have remained in contact with many of my friends from this time. If you guys are listening, I hope you take as much delight in these gems as I did upon finding them.



1) Once upon a time we all memorized: FIDEM MEAM OBLIGO VEXILIO CIVITIUM...

2) CC: We gave you a makeover on the 6th of July in 2004. I had zero recollection of this before I read it on this paper.

3) The last episode of Friends aired in 2004. Did anyone else get kind of emotional about this?

4) "MY NAME'S _______ TOOOOOOOOOO!!" -Noel, to every single princess at the Lilac Parade.

5) BL and I planned a trip across Washington state. It involved going to Semiahmoo, which is a town neither of could actually pronounce but both of us loved to pretend to. I am still waiting to take this trip. As I recall we rationed gas like bosses and even had a yellow car.

6) This doesn't really involve anyone else, but whenever September approached, I started having the worst back-to-school nightmares. Some of the pre-8th grade ones involved: my best friend stealing my crush; my least favorite teacher giving me a citation; my second least favorite teacher discovering me in the girl's bathroom as I attempted to conceal my naked self with a towel and writing me a citation; my principal turning into a turtle, etc.

7) CG used to have this super great way of saying "Wow!" that would make us all laugh and immediately tell him to do it again. Still makes me smile.

8) One day at lunch I wrote a song about chocolate milk and sang it every time I had chocolate milk thereafter for about a year. It went like this:
  Chocolate milk is good
  Chocolate milk is great
  I'd eat it hot, I'd eat it cold,
  I'd eat it off a plate.
  Strawberry milk is good.
  But chocolate milk is better.
  It's good for you and tastes great too,
  That's why I wear a sweater!

9) It used to be, when you'd go on a vacation, every single one of your friends would email you telling you how much they were going to miss you, then they'd email you again for at least the first two days you were gone. Then you'd print out these emails just cause they made you feel so full of self worth.

10) Emma Butterworth's ism: "Hot-NESS!"

11) This is what I predicted you'd all be "when you grew up":
     -CC: Professor or Architect
     -CG: Teacher or Professional Athelete
     -EB: Broadway Actress or Music Teacher
     -BL: Fashion Designer or Scientist
     -OH: Oceanographer, Lawyer, or Doctor
     -TW: Teacher or Homemaker/Mom
     -Myself: Writer or Dentist

12) Remember polls?

13) Remember when we all took that Data Match quiz that linked us up with people who were supposed to be compatible with? That was weird.

14) Other great quotes. (From -- you guessed it -- the quote book):

     "Girls are not like pop machines. You can't just keep going back for refills." -CC

     "Are you my keeper?!" -BL

     "I bet they went to Mc****ing Donalds!!" -TW

     "I have so much pep, I don't know what to do with it! So I put it into my knitting." -EB

     "Look! Look! If you do this (she sucks on a Mountain Dew bottle) it does nothing!" -BL

     "I HAVE MASSIVE SPOTS ON MY NOSE!" -B, E, R, & T quoting Emma Watson

     "GASP! Can I put your markers in rainbow order?!" -EB, to a Science classmate

     "Okay, so I have these...these proverbial children -- they're like the kids I'm going to have, but they live in my head -- and every time I'm gonna do something I just think about it and I say 'What would the kids think?' It's like What Would Jesus Do, but it's What Would the Kids Think." -TW

     "I never really learned to be anything -- it just kind of happened, I guess. I'm kinda like an infomercial with extra goodies." -CC

     "He's a yellow-bellied chicken. More like a yellow-bellied blowfish. He's just yella' Yella like a banana. Like a... banana loco man!!!" -EB

     "I just realized I called you a nerd, and I'm listening to polka music." -BL

     "I have lion boobs!!" -RB

Miss you guys. Think about you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment